Roasted cauliflower with chickpeas
Finally, the first recipe in English. I'm super busy with work at the moment so it took some time for me to step up and give this international page the attention it deserves. The blog will be first and foremost in Dutch: the menu is Dutch, the categories, the tags, however this English page is all yours!
So what's for dinner then? Cauliflower and chickpeas with eggplant. It's an Ottolenghi-inspired feast! I received his cookbook Plenty for my birthday. I love his books. It's so much more then just recipes (although there are many of them). It breathes a certain spirit, you know. His dishes are inspired by the Middle Eastern and the Mediterranean kitchen. After reading a while I came up with the recipe you'll find at the end of this post. Enjoy!
Cauliflower with chickpeas and eggplant
Makes a meal for 2 persons
1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
1 eggplant, cut in dices
1 avocado, cut in dices
2/3 cup cooked chickpeas
1/3 cup hazelnuts
1/3 cup small flat-leaf parsley leaves, picked
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1/4th teaspoon allspice
1/4th teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Toss the cauliflower florets with the 3 tablespoons of olive oil, half a teaspoon of sea salt and some black pepper. Spread out in a baking sheet with parchment paper in the oven for 25-35 minutes, until the cauliflower is crisp and parts of it have turned golden brown. Transfer to bowl and set aside.
3. Rinse the chickpeas and spread them out together with the hazelnuts on the baking sheet. Decrease the oven temperature to 325 degrees. Roast for about 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, bake the eggplant in some olive oil. When they're a little brown and look soft, set them aside. Let them leak a bit and sprinkle with sea salt and some fresh lemon juice.
5. Toast the sesame seed in a small pan. Cut the parsley as thin as you like.
6. It is time to assemble your dish. Put the cauliflower florets together with the eggplant, chickpeas and nuts. Top with allspice and the cinnamon and toss. Then add the red wine vinegar and the maple syrup. Make sure everything is mixed well. For the final tough, sprinkle the sesame seed and add the avocado. Enjoy!